Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Merry Early!

One thing my parents always struggled with me growing up was my resistance to change. Although I loved school, I hated the first day. I hated moving. I hated getting a perm in my hair. I hated anything with "new experience" as part of the description. To my credit, I think I've come through those changes pretty well, and have even developed something of a tolerance for change. Overall, I don't think the casual observer would have any idea that I came hard-wired with such a change-phobia.

My cell phone wasn't charging, and our contract had expired with Sprint anyway. We switched to Verizon & got new phones to go with it. Hallelujah!

My new phone



Sean's phone

That was during the first week of December. Cha-ching!


Then, our suburban's problems started multiplying (see earlier blog). We sold the Suburban, and just one week ago got a brand-new (to us) one! It's pretty sad when your dream car is a Suburban, but I love it.



This is the black one, but ours is light silver and just like it (although because of all the snow lately, it's kind of a slushy, salty color on the outside). It's an '08 Suburban with all the bells & whistles. Our kids love the built-in DVD player; Jamison's favorite feature is his ability to plug headphones into the jack in the back seat and listen to his own radio station instead of his parents' outdated stuff.

Cha-ching! I love the car, but hate having a new payment.

Then, last Friday, my iMac crashed. Saturday I took it into the Apple store at The Gateway mall to have their technicians work their magic. Unfortunately, I was told that magic came at the price of $1000 to replace the logic board that comes with the video card which was broken. So I walked out with a new computer instead.




Cha-ching! Don't get me wrong, I love my new computer. But I would have been happier if my old one would have lasted another year.

I feel completely overwhelmed by all of the new things in my life. I think the change monster is re-appearing inside of me. A phone would have been enough, but a phone, a car, and a computer fill my plate completely. I'm almost dreading tomorrow, and hoping that Sean doesn't surprise me with anything too surprising. Luckily we have to share the new car payment, so I think I'm pretty safe in that department.

If it doesn't work out that way, I'm sure my parents and Diane will understand if I call them crying. After all, I cried every first day of school my entire life (even into college), so why should they expect anything different?

2 comments:

Diane said...

You can call me anytime. Crying or not...

Unknown said...

I love new stuff--I'm not sure why you'd cry? Unless it was because of the bills? Congrats on the major haul this year!