Football Frenzy
It feels like a frenzy, indeed. Every evening (except Monday) the boys have 1.5 hour football practices. It would be easier if they were at the same place and happened at the same time, but alas, they aren't and don't, so Sean & I are perpetual chauffeurs between the hours of 5 and 7:30 pm. The payoff is watching our sons play football every Saturday.
Tristan's on a first-year coaching team, as well as most of the boys playing for the first time. They've struggled for W's this year, as their final game is tomorrow and they've yet to see more points for their team than the opposing one. Although most of the season they've seen very few first downs, and even fewer points on the board, I think Tristan's enjoyed it. After seven straight weeks of this, he's missing his free time, though, and will be glad for a break after Saturday.
Tristan began the season starting on the offensive line, and ended it by starting on the defense. He's an X-man, meaning that he's on the line, blocking and tackling. It's been fun. Yea, #46!
Jamison really lucked out last year, his first year playing in Layton, to be on what we feel is the best team possible. And out of four teams his age, he managed to land on the same coaches' team this year. The coaches are excellent, great examples of teaching and coaching--and the added bonus is that they know how to win games! None of the opposing teams have scored a point against them yet this year. They haven't had a very hard schedule, unfortunately...tomorrow will be the test, as they play Morgan, the most challenging team so far this season. (Morgan beat us last year, so our boys are ready for payback this time around!) And since his team is undefeated, they will go to the playoffs as either the first- or second-place team in their division. We're excited for the next few weeks--hopefully we'll see a mini-bowl win from them!
The most notable difference between last year & this is the weather. Last Saturday for the first time all season we had some off & on rain, but otherwise it's been sunny every week. Last year it snowed two Saturdays before Oct. 1!
Jamison has played on the line as well--one of his coaches told us he's the best blocker they have! He's played both offense & defense, and even got to carry the ball in the Logan game, and nearly scored a touchdown. Yea, #41! (My picture taking is sorely lacking. It wasn't till I started typing this blog that I realized I don't have an pics of Jamison playing this year. Good thing he has a few more games to go!)
*****
Canning Craze
For the last couple of weeks I've been canning salsa. Since we have no garden yet, we've bought all the stuff from local farmers and I've put it up. There's nothing like homemade salsa! Yum! Although it's very labor-intensive, it's soooo worth it!
********************************

Yard work
We've been spreading the top layer of premium topsoil across our soon-to-be grass areas. We want to seed our grass--we've had several neighbors try it with great success. Hopefully we'll get the seed down soon. Have you read about our life of nonstop football? We're lucky we have a spare minute for anything else!
*****
Subbing
I've been substitute teaching every Monday, which becomes more fun each time I go. The kids are great, and it's fun to be teaching again. However, I'm so glad I'm not doing more than just subbing! It feels so wonderful to walk away and not have to plan the rest of the week, or grade papers.
I've also subbed in a few other classes. So far, so good. Again, it's nice not to have any more responsibility than one day for them.
2 comments:
It is fun to read your posts because all the football stuff is a world away from my girlie life. Maddie is still deep into swim team, but I have never personally experienced the world of football or baseball. Thanks for the primer.
Oh, how I miss homemade salsa! Save some for me if possible--planning to be back in May. Football is another thing that is sadly missing from my life here--actually I don't miss it THAT much--but it sounds like you're having a great time. I loved subbing. I'm so glad that you're enjoying it. In some ways it's hard to go back to full-time teaching after a year of subbing. The no-responsibility/planning is a huge benefit!
Post a Comment