Wednesday, October 3, 2007

FIRST DAY...FINALLY!!!

Monday was the first day of school!!



Jamison started 6th grade, Raleigh 5th, and Tristan 3rd. The boys have women teachers, and Raleigh has a man. Everyone seems happy with their class situation, and they all recognized more friends from last year than they'd anticipated. Sabra and I had a "meet-the-teacher" experience with kindergarten teacher Mrs. Graham, from which she didn't want to leave. However, she told one of our neighbor friends, "When we really come it won't be that fun. It will be more boring." (Sabra's real first day is next Monday, Oct. 8.)


This is the one and only year that all four of my children will be at the same school!


After dropping the kids off, Sabra & I joined some other moms from our ward who were going out to breakfast to celebrate. We're all so relieved to have kids back in school! The boredom was becoming palpable around our house.


Ellison Park Elementary is still in the final weeks of completion. At present, the office, the library, gym, and lunch room have yet to be finished. However, the classrooms and hallways are all intact, desks are in, and teachers are there. No matter that the bells aren't in yet, the light switches aren't completely installed, fences and bike racks are nonexistent. The kindergarten playground was completed yesterday and is ready for those little ones to officially start playing on Monday.

This week mainly consists of "early-out" days, ending at 1:15 pm. No one seems to have any explanation for this phenomenon, other than guessing that it gives the workers more freedom to complete their jobs. (Although I have no idea what I'm talking about, my opinion is that they should have been paying the workers overtime to work 24/7 the last 4 months of summer so that the school would be completed. Overall, it seems like a fairly nonchalant attitude has been taken by the construction workers, in working 9-5 Monday through Friday....)

But we're thrilled to have structure and direction back at home! Now maybe I'll have time to keep the dishes, dusting, vacuuming, and other things around the house done. Or maybe it'll just be nice to have a little down time to read a book.

3 comments:

Michelle & Steve said...

Yay! I bet it makes for one happy Tuckett family to have an end to that great, but never-ending summer!

Bethany said...

So is this the first time you'll have the house to yourself in 12 years??? My vote is to read a book.

Sarah said...

Oh my gosh-- I forgot your school was starting so late. 2nd quarter starts for us on the 15th, if you can believe it. You're supermom for juggling all 4 kids for such an extended summer. How funny to start school when it is already cold-- it was that way for me in the NW, but I bet your kids haven't experienced that before.